Thursday, July 22, 2010

I should probably add to the household income...

This week we didn't really "do" much but we had several things happen, and of course, some more exciting then others.

I'll start with the bad- car troubles. We bought our car about 2 weeks ago and then out of no where, one morning it decided not to start! It revved like normal, no slowness or lack. It wasn't just a "click" noise- it just wouldn't take the last kick to start. We didn't panic too much because what would what solve? And thanks to Dave Ramsey, we have an emergency fund set up for times like these, so we weren't too worry about the financial aspect. So, after two days of sitting in the parking lot, we found some time to go to the auto shop on base. As they were setting up a tow to get our car, a guy gets on the phone with someone who's car wouldn't start as well. Apparently his car was sitting for two days, the tow truck shows up, and the man decides to give his car a crank, and voila- it starts...hmmm. So we went home right away and gave it a try- and wouldn't you know it started right up. So with that we cancel the tow and decided to just leave it alone and see if it happened again. A few days later- it happened again... and again an few days after that. So we took it to the shop (we actually drove it this time) because also needed AC work. We told them the issue and that (according to my dad) it could be something like the alternator or the fuel pump, so to also take a look at those. After the "diagnostic," they said that it's just an old battery, so if they replace it, that should do that trick. Now, I don't know much about cars, but just recently replaced the battery in my Mustang, and she didn't randomly start and not start, she was just a little slow to start. So this didn't set well with me. I called my dad and he agreed that it didn't sound completely accurate, but he's not here and can't look at it (*tear*), so I'll just have to take the shop's word for it and see how it goes. But I'm not too worried, if it's something else, my car will let me know in a few days, hah! The battery was in fact old, so it's not like it can hurt. We shall see. Oh, and that same day we found out about a shop that's off base and across the street that seems to do more reliable work for a good price, nice. Guess we'll go there if this problem continues, sighhhh.

On a more fun note, we went Italian furniture shopping! We talked to an Italian sales women, where you flip through her catalogs, choose the couches you like, customize certain aspects of it (like the lengths, "L" shape or two separate pieces, the armrests, etc), pick the leather, pick the color, and about six weeks and several thousand dollars later- you have your furniture! The furniture is really neat and we're pretty sure we've decided on our couch & love seat, coffee table and bed frame. Financing it however will come in pieces! James said I don't have to work but the more money we have the quicker we can get all the things we want, hah! If that's not a hint... I don't mind working, it's just my options here are limited and I don't want to have to work on days that his job decides that he doesn't have to. However, I recently found out that the school on base ALWAYS needs substitute teachers and bus supervisors, so I will be looking into that. I've always wanted to be a teacher, so that could be fun- and can confirm what I already figure- I don't have that kind of patience! The bus thing is supposedly really easy. And both they always need and you can always turn down (of course you do have to say yes every so often so you don't get booted from the system). Back to the furniture- I'm kind of nervous because I don't prefer plan colors like black or brown, but I don't want to pick a certain color and then later realize that I don't want that color for years! The couches we like look beautiful in white, but I don't think that's safe either, I think brown is winning... Hmm, I'll keep you posted.

Possible highlight of my week- My friend Michelle sent me a care package, so sweet! Just random items to help me out, such as Starbucks instant Iced coffee. There are no Starbucks here so yay! A little taste of home! Italians take lots of pride in their coffee, I don't think a Starbucks would even survive, well maybe off of tourists in Rome and such, but that's about it! And I think the Italians might be offended... Anyway, she also sent some Tapatio, so I can put the Tabasco aside, hah! What a sweetie! I love my friends :-)

Lowlight of the week- I've been using Pandora since I got here, and the app on my iPhone was recently due for an update, well figures that once I update it- now it says that Pandora is not available in the country I am currently in! What's that all about! Um, can I get an un-update???

No comments:

Post a Comment